Wednesday, September 9, 2015

1 week

One week, and it's down the transplant rabbit hole we go. 

I'll check in here, also known as "The Ritz Carlton, Ann Arbor."


I hear the room service is exquisite. 

I'm here today for more appointments, more discussions, more finalizing of the schedule. It's a nervy time. I'm ready to get this started, but now that it's only a week away, the whole experience is beginning to feel a bit more heavy. I'm sure this will be no different from the others---I'll build it up in my mind to a point where the reality can't possibly match it, and it will end up seeming not so bad. It's worked for me thus far. Why change it? 

I have another appointment on Friday. An EKG (heart function test) I took last week came back abnormal. Yippee. 

The "A" in the ABVD chemo I went through initially can be hard on the heart, and there is some family history of heart disease, so I'll see the cardiologist and make sure the ticker is in working order. I'm not expecting any bad news, I feel fine--but I also wasn't expecting cancer, so we'll see! 

Ah, the thrill of the uncertain. 


About as thrilling as this moustache is attractive.

So if everything goes well with the Cardiologist, then we have a set schedule. Here it is!


6 straight days of high-dose chemo. Then reinfusion of stem cells. Then wait for counts to rebound. And wait. And wait. And wait. With lots of puking, I imagine, along the way. Then more writing. Good thing it's football season--plenty to watch on TV. Netflix will be watched--as in all they have to offer. I'll get to say "I watched Netflix" and be correct, literally. 

First look at my new pad:


The interior decorator I hired is a bit of a minimalist, apparently.

As with all things medical, this carries some risks. Most minimal, some not. I'm told because of my age and shape (round) that I should tolerate it well. Like everything I've done up until now/will do in the future, I'm just along for the ride, cheering for Team Science, and hoping for the best. 

Between my awesome family, out-of-my-league girlfriend, best friends, co-workers, and all who've reached out--I know I'm in good company and that however this goes, I'll have people to lean on/complain to/throw a bash in the family & patient lounge with every Spartan or Lions game. 

I warned the head nurse, I can get a little slap-happy when I'm couped up. She said some energy on the floor would be welcome. 

We'll see if she agrees in about a month. 





No comments:

Post a Comment