Thursday, July 23, 2015

Chemo guy party boy---and lots of GIFs

I'm a little late to the game on this update, but I've been really busy and things are moving fast and I didn't have the time SO LAY OFF ME OKAY?!



Jusssssst kidding. I've been busy, but that's not the reason. The reason is mostly because I didn't want to think about it. 

I was told that this round of chemo would be "lighter" than the last round--that the side effects wouldn't be as severe and that I would feel better in general. Well, they were right! I can't say I felt great, but it was certainly a gigantic difference from the holy-shit-I'm-gonna-puke-up-my-intestines-I-can't-get-out-of-bed routine I "got used to" last round. 

So after back to back treatments on Wednesday and Thursday, while expecting to feel pretty awful, I found instead that I felt like a functioning human. 

One might say I even got a little cocky. 


And by "might" I mean "definitely." 

I decided I felt good enough to stand up in one of my best friends weddings. I'm very happy I did--life events like these only come along a few times in a close circle of friends, and I wanted to be a part of it. 

I mean, who am I to deny the guests the entertainment of my dancing at such an event?


However, after 5 hours outside for a ceremony and pictures on an 85 degree day in a 3 piece tuxedo, this was me:




 I tried to suck it up, and made a half-hearted attempt to be fun at the reception, but it became apparent pretty quickly that I was going to be punished for my decision. 

The entire car ride home was essentially non-stop this:


Thankfully, I didn't start producing anything with my heaves until I got home. I ran a low grade fever consistently for the next few days, couldn't keep food down, was completely drained of any energy...it was probably the most uncomfortable and miserable I've been since I started this whole process. 

I thought I had hit bottom before, but was wrong. 

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining about it. I rebounded well after a few days and have been feeling fine since. The frustrating part for me is that I can't really blame chemo or cancer for how horrible I felt for those few days--it was completely my fault. 

Mr. Tough Guy bit off more than he could chew. I don't regret going to the wedding, I needed to be there...but I should have been smarter about it. 

At the end of the day, with another round of chemo coming up next week, I don't dread it (or dare I say fear it?) in the manner I did during ABVD. I think that my doctors called it and that this cocktail is easier on me. 

I'm not going to lose my hair or beard at the moment, so that's already a win. 

So I'm hoping that it was my arrogance, my "lack of respect" for the chemo and for cancer, and that I just need to not be such a moron, and learn to take it easy. I just know I never want to feel like that again--but I probably will.

Time will tell. Small price to pay. Yada yada yada.

In other pretty cool news, a handful of people at the UofM Cancer center came across this blog, and as a result I was approached by some folks who create the Cancer Center's publication Thrive. I guess they think I'm interesting and want to do a story of some kind--even being the "cover story" was mentioned. I fear they'll be disappointed, BUT--they are making a very smart call by wanting to involve Griswold in the photo shoot--so he should help me save face. 

As in "this guy is a dingus--but man that dog is cute."


So I'm excited about it, and I'll keep you all up to date. 

Don't worry, I won't forget you all when I'm famous. 





No comments:

Post a Comment