Monday, October 5, 2015

Before I leave, a Thank You(s)

I was terrified of this procedure, leading up to it. I remained scared through most of it. 

It was tough, trying. It made me weak. Afraid. Sick. I wouldn't want to do it again. 

But the people at this place:


Bone Marrow Transplant


Are as good as they come. From the janitors to the attending physicians, everyone treated me so well--better than I'm sure they are required to. 

To say I wouldn't have made it through this without them, especially my nurses, is the understatement of the year. 

The people here are the best at what they do, and I consider myself incredibly lucky to have been and remain under their care. I didn't feel so much a patient here as I did a welcome guest, a friend. Someone who's well-being was an absolute priority--not as a job, but from some place else. 

I could see it in the look on their faces when I was feeling my worst. 

They wanted to make me better, make me comfortable, let me rest. 

So yes, I am thrilled to be leaving the hospital. Doesn't mean I'm not a little misty about leaving the people who cared for me. 

I know I'll leave out a few people who's names I've forgotten, please forgive me:

Zeke, the floors personal trainer--thank you for your daily morning dose of positive energy and encouragement--even when I wasn't very responsive to it. What a guy. Good luck to your son at CMU. 

Marisa, thank you for your patience with me when I was feeling my worst and for being so attentive. You often knew what I wanted or needed without me telling you. 

Tiffany, thank you for your lighthearted nature. As an anxious person, you had a calming effect on me that made a huge difference. Good luck with fantasy football. 

Jackie, thank you for your understanding nature. You took care of me during my last few days here (my most anxious), and put me at ease. 

All of the techs, who have a thankless job. They work long hours, late nights, handling things most people wouldn't want to handle, and they do it with a smile. You're my heroes. 

All of the nurses who's names I've forgotten, I'm sorry. We shared jabs about MSU/UM, made fun of the Lions, and you took care of me when I was at my absolute worst. 

All the attending physicians and PAs, you guys are unique. You march into my room during rounds and I expected to be referred to and treated as "Patient # blah blah," but instead was attended to like a friend. You were straight with me, honest, and optimistic. You are the best at what you do, which is why I came here. Thank you. 

And lastly, Annie. If there is a nomination process for nurse of the year, I'd like to formally submit her for consideration. She's loud, funny, in your face, and suffers no fools. She was fierce in her determination to get my nausea under control and checked on me constantly. She was a face and a personality that I was always happy to have in my room. She asked questions--not about my condition or about anything medical--but about me. She wanted to know my story. She shared endless words of encouragement and positive energy and made me feel like I was doing so well, even if at times I wasn't. Annie is one of a kind, and I'll miss her. Thank you Annie, I feel very lucky to have been under your care. 

And the care of everyone on the 7th floor at Mott Children's Hospital. 

None of the above is hyperbole. These people are amazing. 

I'll miss all of them.

That is, until I see you all again when my 100 days is up. Beers are on me. 

I'm serious. 

I'd like to finish with this, 


Go Green baby. 

Love you guys. 





No comments:

Post a Comment