Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Road Trip. Waiting for a phone call.

930 miles down. Many more to come.


17 hours in the car is a great distraction when you're waiting on a pretty important phone call. 

Especially when driving through the endless nothing that is southern Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas. 

Little rock was pretty cool though.

Especially when driving to see the Spartans play in a national semi-final.

Especially when wasting time goofing around with my co-pilot/navigator/best friend.

Especially when in a few hours, we'll arrive and begin celebrating 100 days since the stem cell transplant. 

The phone call is looming and it has a place in the back of my mind pretty constantly--but I'm ready for whatever comes. 

Either way, it'll be a celebration:

A celebration of some great news.

Or a celebration of an adventure with a bunch of people I love, in a strange place, watching a special team, ignoring bad news and staying optimistic about the future.

It's just a game. 

It's just a road trip. 

It's just 34 hours of quality time with her. 

They're just distractions.

it's just a phone call. 

And it's just cancer. 

Some things, like who I'm with and what I'm doing, in this moment, are much more important. This game, this trip, and this girl--that's where my head is now. 

I'm enjoying the moment. 

The phone call will come, and I'm ready for it--then I'll get back to the important stuff.

It's just what you allow it to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment