Thursday, November 13, 2014

Triage at work

The bar I run is a very clean place as far as bars go. We place a lot of importance on it, and it shows. Still, a certain amount of mess/nastiness just comes with the territory of running a college bar. It's unavoidable. Mostly in the form of cash, which it's my job to handle/count. 

Then you bring in 200+ customers and 10+ staff at the beginning of winter, and it's a breeding ground for illness. 

Based on my current white blood cell counts, it isn't an ideal place for me to be. 

I've let my staff know they need to tell me as soon as they feel sick, and a couple let me know they're under the weather today. 

So I'll run the show from the office as much as I can, and it's this phenomenal look for me today:

Glad this mug isn't the last thing I saw before I went under for surgery.

Wow. I look exponentially more sick with the mask on than without it. It's weird to look at. Yes, I feel shitty more often than I feel good. Still, do I feel like I have cancer? I guess the answer is yes, but since I haven't had cancer before--it's all a bit new. 

It's not like my cancer hurts. 

I was told that at times, treating cancer is tougher than having it. I thought that was an idiotic thing to say at the time, and I still kind of do. I guess I know what they were trying to get at, though. 

On the spectrum of things that are tough, this is all weighted heavily on the easy end. Still a hill to climb.

Ramble complete. 






2 comments: