Saturday, November 15, 2014

"Do you 'do' weed?"

So I've gotten quite a few questions from people who read the blog and friends about whether or not I use medicinal marijuana to help with the side effects of chemotherapy. 

The answer is yes and no. 

Yes, I do have my medicinal card. So I'm legal.

No, I don't smoke weed.

This is for a couple reasons. The biggest reason being that my doctors specifically advised against it. One of the chemotherapy drugs that is part of my treatment is especially tough on the lungs. Not a good idea to kick them with smoke while they're already down.

Another reason is that the cancer is in my chest, and something about smoking something that makes me cough and have chest tightness weirds me out. 

Lastly, I'm a bit of an anxious person, meaning that getting "too high" is a very real and uncomfortable thing (as hilarious as it might be for those around me). 



This brings me to the real problem. I'm allowed to use marijuana edibles if I want to. In theory, this should be a great solution to the problem of not being able to smoke it. However, for a person who doesn't like to get too high, using edibles to get high is a bit like playing Russian roulette.

So in the end, while I fully support the use of medical marijuana to treat symptoms and to ease pain for patients, I haven't found it all that useful thus far.

Hopefully the prescription drugs I have can do the trick for the duration.

Oh yeah, I also have a dog who likes to eat just about anything and is a bit crazy as it is. I don't need him finding a bag of edibles and lookin' at me like this:




No comments:

Post a Comment