Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wasn't what I thought it would be

I woke up to a ton of hair on the pillow after last night. Then today hair started just falling out on its own. So, I made the decision to just peel off the band-aid, and shave it all now, rather than let it wilt away and leave a trail of hair behind me everywhere I went. 

Before I talk briefly about today, I want to make clear I don't give a damn about losing my hair for any reason involving vanity. I'd dress like a clown every day for these 6 months if it meant remission. 

That being said, today was pretty unsettling. Any grasp I still had on "normalcy" is gone. 

I know I'm sick, I've felt sick up to this point, but until now I haven't "looked" sick. 

During good days over the past two weeks, I'd walk by a mirror, and forget for a second that I had cancer. Not an option any longer, and I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing. It's just another change. 

I can only imagine what this experience is like for a woman/person more attached to their hair--its gotta be really tough. 

Even I, a person who has no connection to my hair (on my head), found myself a bit emotional during the whole experience. Another unique experience to remember. 

Another reminder that this is real. 

Another reason I'm thankful to have a beard. The beard, for now, is holding on strong. I hope that conitinues, otherwise I'll soon be "slightly overweight babyface cancer guy." No one likes that guy. 

Pictures to document the experience:

Thinning
Should have left it like this
Or like this

Heavy stuff all gone...now time to shave it
Go Green
Weird
Still weird
Will take a while to get used to this

Shiny Dome

The finished product.

Time for a shower...just looking at all that hair makes me itch

Weird filter. Tough day.

Bonus pics with my dog Griswold...it took him a second to recognize me. 




 Now I look the part.

I'm "in uniform." 

Now the game can start.

3 comments:

  1. I'm diggin the bald look though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcus,
    I know we have never met but I am Aunt Luanne's oldest niece from Massachusetts.I have heard about all of you over the last 20 years and i am sure you have heard about all of us crazies in Massachusetts also.You are Aunt Lu and Uncle Patricks nephew so in some cosmic way we are family.I just wanted to let you know i have been reading your blog.I think that your attitude about this shit ass disease that to many people have gone through is truly amazing.I think with the love and strength through family,friends and even our pets we all can get through a lot. Sending Positive vibes your way. Peace & Love ,Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the bald look too! I have been thinking about you a lot lately, not to be weird or anything. If anyone can fight this it is you. Best Wishes! I am praying for you and a fast recovery.

    ReplyDelete