Sunday, October 12, 2014

Zofran and the chemo diet

In spite of not eating much since Tuesday, I've been progressively feeling better. Not great, but definitely good enough to work, get out, not be a zombie, get to the gym a few times, etc. 

The prescribed diet isn't all bad, the appetite just isn't there.

 Major bummers: No raw fruit or veggies (which I love), red meat should be avoided, no acidic meals, spicy stuff a no go, careful with dairy, lot's of bread and pasta and rice and Meijer shakes. 

So nothing that has any flavor? Ok good, got it. 

Veggies steamed from a bag and fruit from a can just aren't cutting it at the moment, but they will eventually, I'm not complaining. I've lost some weight and that's never a bad thing (silver lining). 

Had a rough night/morning though, and that's because I'm trying to lay off the Zofran. 

Zofran is an awesome anti-nausea drug. The nurses advised me to take it as prescribed, every 8 hours, for the first 3 days following Chemo. Then, it can be taken as needed. While awesome at keeping nausea at bay, it makes me lethargic, gives me headaches, etc. And since we're in the trust tree and this is an experiment in public honesty, a main side effect is constipation. So yeah, haven't been feeling great. Time for a break from it. 

As I understand is the case often with chemo, finding a balance between things you want to do, have to do, drugs to take, not to take, is just part of the process. 

I'm still trying to find that balance. Good news is I have at least 6 more months to figure it out. I know I will. 

I woke up a few times throughout the night, and the lovely steamed veggie/black bean/rice combo I ate last night decided it didn't want to stay down. Puking sucks, but whatever. Not the first time it's happened, won't be the last. 

Brush your teeth, shake it off, get back in bed. 

I took a Zofran when I woke up, and shocker, I'm feeling a bit better. Might go crazy and have an egg or two. 

I hate taking medicine, and avoid it whenever I can (even Tylenol). So all of this is an adjustment. When I read "take as needed" what I see is "don't take it." I live in black and white, do or don't. Leaving it up to me, docs, is probably a mistake. 

I'll figure it out eventually. 

Go Lions. 




No comments:

Post a Comment